St Ives Methodist Church
The history of the church can be traced back to 1784 when early meetings took place in a member’s house. This quickly progressed to meeting in a barn for worship, and in 1815 – over 30 years after the first meetings – members were able to complete the building of a Chapel in the town.
Throughout the nineteenth century the building was altered and improved to serve the growing membership. This included enlarging the vestry, adding a porch and replacing the organ.
A new chapel was built in 1905, taking the church into the twentieth century in modern new premises. During both world wars the church was used to maximum benefit of the local community as a Red Cross Hospital.
A complete refurbishment took place in 1997 following a fire the year before. A centenary celebration of the building took place in 2005. The church building will continue to develop and evolve to serve the needs of members as they strive to serve the name of Jesus in the town of St Ives.